Monday 14 October 2013

RESEARCHING HORROR POSTERS

What is Horror? This genre of film seeks a negative emotional reaction from the viewer. Horror films often deal with the views nightmares, hidden fears and terror of the unknown. Prevalent elements include ghosts, aliens, vampires, werewolves, demons, vicious animals, monsters, zombies, cannibals and serial killers.
The above are my original film posters for the following films; Dracula, Cloverfield, Jaws, Signs, The Night of the Living Dead and Shaun of the Dead. I tried to vary between different time periods to show the development over horror film posters over the years.

The above are my Saul Bass inspired film posters for the following films; The Cabin in the Woods, Jaws, Night of the Living Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Psycho and The Shining. The similarities between all these Saul Bass film posters are that they have a colour palette of 2 colours. Most of these horror film posters use the colour red and black frequently to portray the gore in the film.

Here is my mind-map for my chosen film; Cloverfield. I choose Cloverfield because I like horror films where the fear of the unknown is present.  The viewer does not actually understand what the creature is and how things are happening. I also choose this film because I liked the idea of experimenting with the city scape of New York in Saul Bass's style. 
I have carried out research into this film and it is clever how they have put together this non-fictional story which seems to the viewer to be completely true. For example I discovered that the oil tank which was capsized in the sea at the beginning of the film leads the tragic event to happen. I also like how the film is done by what seems a portable camcorder - this shows differences to this and other horror films.

The above is an A3 page full of my sketches from key aspects of the film. For example, for the camcorder, Statue of Liberty, Manhattan bright and the city scape. Whilst doing these sketches I watched the entire film for inspiration.


The above are my 3 mood-boards. The first one is relating to New York itself. Looking at the main scenery such as the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan Bridge which takes place in the film. I have collected quite a few city scape photos because I want to try experiment which a city scape on my horror poster.
The second mood-board is for props such as; guns, military, helicopters, planes, taxis, cars, explosions and ruined streets. Most importantly I have included a photo of the camcorder as I could experiment with this idea.
My last mood-board is the colours. The colours in this film are quite dark as the film is supposed to be shot at night. Green is used quite a lot in different shades also. The colours above are the palette I want to mainly use for my horror poster for Cloverfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment