Thursday 3 October 2013

Evaluation


I chose Alice in Wonderland because I thought I could explore lots of ideas and refer to either Lewis Carroll or/and Tim Burton’s version.

I like Saul Bass’s style because I think it is clever how he captures the mood of the film with simple shapes and images. Saul Bass used simple geometric shapes. For my interpretations of Bass’s work I decided to create my storyboard by hand because Bass’s work was drawn by hand. As Bass only used a small colour palette in his work – for example primary colours such as orange, red, yellow and blue I carefully picked out four colours appropriate for my chosen film; Alice in Wonderland. To create a Saul Bass theme to my storyboard I picked out the main scenes in the film and simplified them into simple shapes and silhouettes. I feel I have overall created a Saul Bass feel to my storyboard.

Overall, I have learnt who and what Saul Bass is about. I feel like I could recognise Bass’s work from the research I have carried out. Also, another thing I have learnt is to run Illustrator. For example managing the pen tool and learning how to warp type etc.

If I could change or do something differently I would scan my line drawings in and digitally enhance my storyboard on either Illustrator or Photoshop as I hand drew my storyboard and used water colours paints. Another thing would be to consider more when creating a movie title and maybe try to portray Bass’s style in the title. Overall, I enjoyed this project and think I showed appropriate references to the chosen artist- Saul Bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment